Since the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf (GGC) have announced yesterday, that they are expanding to include Jordan and Morocco, jokes have circulated around the social media networks. This showed how the citizens of the concerned countries are struggling to understand this expansion. It is worth noting here that Jordan had its ‘application’ accepted, while Morocco has been ‘invited’ to join. I liked Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi article in Gulfnew.com when he called them GGC 1.0 & GCC 2.0.
I think there is little in common between the existing 6 GCC countries with the two new joining countries except: they are all Monarchs, with a majority Sunni population. The question becomes: will the Arab League be more ineffective, and left for the ’republics’?
This expansive move is for sure a response to the ‘Arab Spring’, especially that the current GCC missed neighbouring Iraq and Yemen. GGC 1.0 was established in response to the Islamic revolution of Iran in 1979. Unconfirmed reports came out today saying Morocco has not accepted yet, and some GGC 1.0 countries have some reservations on Jordan. So the whole thing looks sketchy at the moment.
Anyway, I will leave you below with some circulating jokes that could have some sense in them:
- statistically, every Saudi man has 4 Moroccan women!
- mens’ demands have been now, when will womens’ demands be met by inviting Turkey
- I am Moroccan born in Saudi Arabia, my husband is Emarati, and he has a company in Jordan, and a branch in Kuwait. so my photo should be the logo of the new GCC!
- GCC is expanding and will invite Africa on the way to join, so they can contain Gaddafi
- New racism: Are you Gulfian Gulfian or Gulfian Jodanian?
- Geography lesson: what’s the Gulf state that sits on the Atlantic
- Who are they going to invite when the oil runs out?
- Great, so we can go to Morocco without a passport, but what about Thailand?
- Turkey says to the EU: see, learn how a country can join! GCC has done it in 24 hours
- Ok Jordan, now you are one of us. you have to learn practising real repression
- A friend of mind is starting a new business in Jordan: ‘ghellabiya’ trading (long man white dress)
- India says: what about us? half of India is in the Gulf.